Re: [xmca] Interview with David Kellogg on

Robert,
1. Like to do a short video on Vygotsky's use of metaphor?
2. Peter's paper will appear in MCA next year and David's will be on the LCHC website soon. (Bruce?) 3. What do you make of "Metaphors we live by" by George Lakoff. I think it is a great book but Lakoff seemed to get stuck at that point and his subsequent writings very disappointing.

Andy

Robert Lake wrote:
Dear David,
First of all I want to thank you and Andy for the clear and astute reading and rendering of Vygotsky's Psychology of Art. I loved every second of the interview, even hearing and seeing Andy
laugh!
Secondly, when you shared LSV's notion that a work of art is
irreducible I thought of metaphor again.  For example, I.A. Richards
wrote in 1936 that... “Thought is metaphoric, and proceeds by comparison, and the metaphors
of language derive therefrom” (p. 94).
In other words, he believed that at the base of all thinking, there is
a metaphoric relationship.  Richards takes this one step further when he
suggests that metaphors are “cognitively irreducible” (Johnson, 1981, p.
19) and cannot be reduced to statements of literal meaning. A metaphoric expression therefore becomes a newly created vehicle of meaning which loses potency as well as the possiblity of providing personal voice and agency when it is made into a literal statement from
its  component parts. For example, what would happen to this poem?
FOG by: Carl Sandburg The fog comes on little cat feet. It sits looking over harbor and city on silent haunches and then moves on. Thanks again,
RL
P.S. Is there a copy of your paper on this posted somewhere? Robert Lake Ed.D.
Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.
-John Dewey.

David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> 10/10/2010 9:08 PM >>>
Thanks, Nancy. And above all thanks to Andy, not just for making the
resource available but for providing a long list of provocative
questions that had me tugging my beard rather more than I should have.

I was telling Andy that I started the whole project with some contempt
for Leontiev's lukewarm preface, where he says that Vygotsky himself did
not want the book published, but that it was now a historical document
for the understanding of Soviet science so we have to get it out there
anyway.
Ivanov, on the other hand, says that the book is a complete manuscript
readied for publication by Vygotsky himself (and Ivanov, by the way, is
pretty harshly criticized, so it is with great generosity of spirit that
he champions this book and writes a very warm commentary to it).
But perhaps Leontiev's ungenerous preface is right in this much: the
most exciting ideas in it are completely undeveloped:

a) The hidden link between aesthetics and ethics. Vygotsky REALLY
believes this: art's about the GOOD LIFE, and it can help us get there, not just in our imagination but in real ontogenesis and even
sociogenesis.

b) The true analytical unit of art. It just CAN'T be the "aesthetic
contradiction". That's like saying that the analytical unit of chemistry
is the "chemical contradiction". Feh.

c) The dramatization of egocentric speech in Hamlet. It's a borderline
piece, written somewhere between Revenge fantasies and psychological
novels, and marvelously contradictory for that reason. It's the
self-directed soliloquies that made it totally different! When "To be or
not to be" is translated into Korean, it's just "To live or to die". But
of course you can read it exactly other way: "to be" is to take up arms,
and then not to be, and "not to be" is to bow your head, and go on
living. Only human thought processes have this kind of lyrical quality;
the perception processes on which revenge fantasies and horror shows of
the time were based were shallow, one dimensional things in comparison.

d)  The "social technique of emotion" and the teaching on the emotions.
Vygotsky's on to something here, but what? Just as it's hard to imagine
analyzing the "psychology" of a work of art (how do we do a
psychological analysis of something that does not have a mind?) it's
really hard to imagine a technique of emotion without a "what for" and
not simply a "what with".
It's tempting to say that a) is really the answer to d)! But if it's an
answer, it's not a direct one; there is, and there should be, a whole
book in between. The problem is that Leontiev was really right; this
book is not that one. Not yet.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education