[xmca] FW: [LING-ETHNOG] I-mean 2, Context and Meaning Conference, UWE, Bristol 13-15 April 2011

1st CALL FOR PAPERS

I-mean 2, Context and Meaning Conference, UWE, Bristol 13-15 April 2011

The conference addresses the relationship between context and meaning, how context may be defined, how meaning is interpreted in context, how speakers create and negotiate context in interaction, and how context is dealt with in different research traditions. We seek to explore ways in which researchers can fruitfully work across methodological and disciplinary boundaries. Particularly in the (broadly defined) field of discourse analysis, there are widely recognized approaches which are often associated with specific methodological tools.

The conference aims to explore whether and to what extent bringing together different methodological and theoretical approaches can:

*         enhance understanding of meaning in interaction
*         capture the contextual information which speakers draw upon dynamically in interaction
*         lead to theoretically robust methodological innovation

Papers are invited from researchers working across different linguistic fields and traditions, focusing on any aspect of meaning and interaction.

Main conference themes:
Context in spoken interaction: methodologies and methods
Context and intercultural pragmatics
Multimodal approaches to context
Context and meaning in translation
The teachability of sociopragmatics

Plenary speakers (confirmed):
Karin Aijmer, University of Gothenburg,
Paul Drew, University of York,
Susan Herring, Indiana University,
Norma Mendoza-Denton, University of Arizona

Round table: Stances, methodologies and methods for the analysis of context in interaction.
I-mean 2 will include a round table as a central event where distinguished scholars representing well established paradigms in the analysis of interaction will discuss whether and to what extent bringing together different theoretical stances, methodologies and methods is a) possible b) beneficial to methodological innovation and c) can lead to a better understanding of context in interaction.

Invited colloquia:
I-mean 2 will host two invited colloquia. Details will be announced by the end of October 2010.

Paper submission:

Panel proposals of 500 words, with a clear indication of topic and a preliminary list of contributors are invited by 12th December 2010. Decisions about panels will be made by 20th December. Panel organisers should oversee abstracts from panel members, with an expectation of 6 papers in a panel ( 2 X 90 minute slots) and an absolute maximum of 9. Individual panel members should submit abstracts, clearly marked with Panel names, to the main conference email address by 5th January 2011 as below.

Individual paper proposals of no more than 350 words (max and including references, if necessary) are invited. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is the 5th January 2011. Abstracts should not include the name and affiliation of the author(s).

Further details of the conference and abstract submission procedures will be published on the i-mean website soon and details will be circulated. Abstracts should be submitted after the end of October 2010.

For further information please contact:

Dr Jo Angouri (Jo.Angouri@uwe.ac.uk<mailto:Jo.Angouri@uwe.ac.uk>) and Dr Kate Beeching (Kate.Beeching@uwe.ac.uk<mailto:Kate.Beeching@uwe.ac.uk> )

Details on i-mean 1 can be found at : http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/events/0809/i-mean/index.shtml