From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Achilles Delari Junior
Sent: 08 October 2010 00:38
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: [xmca] LSV's use of metaphor

Well...

I also remember that in 1929 Vygotsky compared old psychological views with the "Comedia del'Arte", because the fixed roles of the psychic functions compared to the fixed roles of the characters in that kind of drama... This is at the paper "Concrete human psychology" in English it was published at Soviet Psychology, 1989, v. 17, n. 2 - but I don't have my copy of the English version here anymore.... only a Portuguese version. In the same text is present also the metaphor about consciousness as telephonist in contrast and complementation to Pavlovian metaphor about brain as telephonic central, if I remember well... This same subject was repeatead at the book "The history of development of higher mental functions" from 1931 (In Spanish edition of the Works, as in Russian, it is the Volume III)... A metaphor with trains and rails was used as well, in reflexological discussion, for a comparison with Sherrignton's contributions about much more afferent ways (rails) than efferent ones... but by memory I don't know more if this is at that reflexological text from 1924 or from 1925... (Consciousness as problem of behavior psychology). In the Psychology of Art, certainly he also repeat the Sherington formulation, but I am not so sure about where was the "train metaphor"... If you have interest in this "train" metaphor, I can localize the actual sources, for this too...

Best.

Achilles.