RE: [xmca] LSV's use of metaphor

David,
Could the dialectical relationship between personal metaphor creation and the processes involved in the "assimilation of terminology" provide an example of Vygotsky's quest for synthesis between the disparate views of early 20th century psychology?  Or perhaps to use Bruner's metaphor of the spiral staircase........need I say more?
RL

Robert Lake  Ed.D.
 Assistant Professor
 Social Foundations of Education
 Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
 Georgia Southern University
 P. O. Box 8144
 Phone: (912) 478-5125
 Fax: (912) 478-5382
 Statesboro, GA  30460

"Democracy must be born anew in every generation and education is its midwife".
-John Dewey

>>> David Kellogg  10/07/10 8:07 PM >>>
Vygotsky's metaphors are many and varied: peas in a sack (child concepts), guerrilla warfare vs. prolonged seige (theoretical vs. empirical research), and my all-time favorite, "science concepts do not drop into the child's mouth like a flock of already roasted-pigeons".

But it seems to me that any discussion of his use of analogy should include his discussion of the LIMITS of metaphor. This is in the context of his analogy between the learning of scientific concepts and the learing of foreign language words, which can be found, in the Minick translation, in Volume One, p. 223, of the Collected Works. Here's OUR translation:

"In substance, our analogy always treats the development of two aspects of a single and same process by their psychological nature: verbal thinking. In the one case, that of the foreign language, what comes into the forefront is the external, sonorous, phasal* properties of verbal thinking; in the other, the development of scientific concepts, it is the semantic process of the same process. For this reason the assimilation of a foreign language doubtless requires, even though in a minimal measure, the mastery of the semantic aspect of the foreign language, just as the development of scientific concept requires, even to a minimal extent, some effort to master scientific language, the symbols of science, which intervene in an evident fashion during the assimilation of terminology and symbolic systems, such as that of arithmetic. For this reason, one might expect from the very beginning that we might find the analogy that we are developing here. Yet we know
 that the development of the phasal and semantic aspects of language do not repeat themselves but follow specific ways, and so we must expect that our analogy will prove to be incomplete like any other analogy and that the assimilation of a foreign language with respect to the maternal tongue shall present resemblances to the development of scientific concepts with respect to that of everyday concepts in some determined relations, while in others there will be profound differences."

And it seems to me that there's a very SIMPLE explanation for the failure of the analogy, too. Every foreign language represents, in the final analysis, somebody ELSE'S everyday concepts.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education