Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Bakhtin (or, The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural Redux)

Ana--

I am one of those who believe in useful overlaps and complementarities
between LSV and MMB.
LSV (1987, p. 285):

If language is as ancient as consciousness itself, if language is
consciousness that exists in practice for other people and therefore for
myself, then it is not only the development of thought but the development
of consciousness as a whole that is connected with the word.... in
consciousness the word is what, in Feuerbach's words--is absolutely
impossible for one person but possible for two.

Today in lab we were talking about the centrality of MMB's notions of
carnival in the way we design..... ugh, collective zones of proximal
development.

like that.

seems like authentic potential to me, although I readily admit that one
could set the two scholars up as mortal enemies if they wished.... humans
are so clever!

mike