Re: [xmca] ideology: easy access web page

 I am currently interested in Marx's idea on the fetishism of commodities
and its relation to ideology:

"A commodity is therefore a mysterious thing, simply because in it the
social character of men’s labour appears to them as an objective character
stamped upon the product of that labour; because the relation of the
producers to the sum total of their own labour is presented to them as a
social relation, existing not between themselves, but between the products
of their labour. This is the reason why the products of labour become
commodities, social things whose qualities are at the same time
perceptible and imperceptible by the senses. In the same way the light
from an object is perceived by us not as the subjective excitation of our
optic nerve, but as the objective form of something outside the eye
itself. But, in the act of seeing, there is at all events, an actual
passage of light from one thing to another, from the external object to
the eye. There is a physical relation between physical things. But it is
different with commodities. There, the existence of the things quâ
commodities, and the value relation between the products of labour which
stamps them as commodities, have absolutely no connection with their
physical properties and with the material relations arising therefrom.
There it is a definite social relation between men, that assumes, in their
eyes, the fantastic form of a relation between things. In order,
therefore, to find an analogy, we must have recourse to the mist-enveloped
regions of the religious world. In that world the productions of the human
brain appear as independent beings endowed with life, and entering into
relation both with one another and the human race. So it is in the world
of commodities with the products of men’s hands. This I call the Fetishism
which attaches itself to the products of labour, so soon as they are
produced as commodities, and which is therefore inseparable from the
production of commodities. "

So how in this sense that fetishism of a commodity is inseparable from its
production can we not state that a person's ideology  is inseparable from
their actions?  Why has CHAT so upended the apple cart as to remove
individual action and insisted that culture is the do-all be-all?

Ilyenkov writes in the "Concept of the Ideal":

"The very essence of fetishism is that it attributes to the object in its
immediately perceptible form properties that in fact do not belong to it
and have nothing in common with its sensuously perceptible external
appearance."

So if this "ideal" can exist within the material aspect of production and
labor how so is it separate from everyday actions and behaviors?

Am I wrong to equate ideology with fetishism?  At this point they appear
to be very similiar if not equal concepts.

what do others think?

eric