Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Bakhtin (or, The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural Redux)

What do you mean by "Authenticity", Ana? I don't ever recall this term arising in a Vygotkyan context. Mostly I would expect to see this come up in Existential and related currents of thought. What does it mean to you?

Andy

Ana Balboa-Guenthner wrote:
"I think we need to study and understand the "intersection" of the two
aspects -because in real life they are inseparable". ~Ana

I have been struggling between Vygotsky and Bakhtin. I am a mere novice and
a perpetual lurker to this community and not brave enough to contribute my
thoughts. I am not a Vygotsky nor a Bakhtin expert. I am comfortable looking
at learning environments. I am not a psychologist. I am an educator.

My research will take place in a rural setting in a nonwestern culture. The
classroom setting is highly political and verbal mediation can be limited.
Limited to what the "powers of be" want to hear or students may be subject
to consequences that may affect their personal or family situation.

So, how would one interpret authenticity in mediated action? I started
thinking of Bakhtin's dialogicality and parody.  Could Vygotsky and Bakhtin
be a yin and yang? An interconnectedness rather than in intersection?  ~Ana
BG