Re: [xmca] FW: ScienceDaily: Parts Of Brain Involved In SocialCognition May Be In Place By Age Six

Ha, ha! Thank you Carol for your too-kind words. Emily and I talk often enough for me to take the "Blunden guy" thing with the good humour in which I know it was intended! I actually read Emily's apology this morning before I read the dozen or so xmca messages and figured out what on earth Emily was apologising for. You are all on this list very dear friends and can call me by any name you like.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Never mind, Em. I would be surprised if Andy misinterpreted your remark, but
he can speak for himself when he wakes up!

Re the article summary you posted: " Parts Of Brain Involved In Social
Cognition May Be In Place By Age Six." Having read it I can see how you
related to Carl's statement but i do not think claims about the "parts of
the brain being in place" and "There is no
longer an interaction of biological and social determinants of behavior (at
age 6) are anything like saying the same thing.
The developmental social cognition piece itself would be well worth
discussing if people wanted to, along with other research in what people
call "social neuroscience" which has some very interesting implications for
thinking about human development. That line of work could use some serious
critical examination from a Vygotsky-Luria perspective.
With respect to the article you pointed us at we might ask  what is meant by
"parts of the brain," what is meant by "in place" and what the relations
between them might be.

mike