Re: [xmca] transition to adulthood

Larry's last message on this topic (below) explored the linkages between activity systems and personal experience in the appearance of a new developmental stage. Tamara Hareven has written about this linkage too. In her paper Historical Changes in the Family and the Life Course: Implications for Child Development (Hareven, 1985) she proposes a model:

"First, individuals become aware of new characteristics in their private experience. The articulation of such a stage and of the conditions unique to it is then formulated by the professionals and eventually recognized in the popular culture. Finally, if the conditions seem to be associated with a major social problem, it attracts the attention of public agencies, and its needs and problems are dealt with in legislation and in the establishment of institutions. Those public activities in turn affect the experience of individuals going through such a stage and clearly influence the timing of transitions in and out of it." (17)

I unpack this as follows:

1. some people experience new characteristics to their lives associated with a particular age-related (but not necessarily age-defined) status.
2. professionals articulate this experience.
3. popular culture catches on.
4. pubic agencies pay attention if it is associated with social problems.
5. legislation establishes institutions.
6. these in turn influence many more individuals' experiences and affect the number and timing of transitions in and out.

Hareven goes on to illustrate the process: She suggests that in the US childhood was first discovered in middle-class urban families in the early C19, as the domestic family emerged, the home was segregated from the workplace, the mother was defined as the person in charge of domestic affairs, and family relations became more based on sentiment. Declining infant and child mortality and voluntary limitation of family size played a role.

How-to literature on child-rearing and family advice then grew. Laws were passed regulating child labor and schooling, and this institutionalized the new stage of childhood. What had been restricted to a particular group now became the norm for all.

Adolescence followed a similar pattern in the second half of C19. Young people congregated in peer groups, a concern when they were immigrants in the cities. This was discussed in the popular literature; G. Stanley Hall wrote his famous study. The school leaving age was extended, vocational schools were introduced. Again, what had started as a specific experience for some became a normative experience for most, mediated by cultural processes and social institutions.

Martin