[xmca] need CHAT training

This is a recent exchange between Mike and my colleague, Alcione Ostorga, about our interest in learning more about how to use CHAT for a longitudinal case study we'd like to do with a group of our bilingual preservice students.

I'm going to follow Mike's suggestion and tap into the collective brain power on xmca to see if anybody can guide us in learning how to use CHAT

Pete Farruggio
From: Alcione Ostorga
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 4:03 PM
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; Peter Farruggio
Subject: RE: need CHAT training

Hello Mike,
Nice to meet you too.
I am on vacation this week so I may be a bit slow to reply.

 I am really interested in using CHAT for our studies.  From the little I have read about CHAT, I see that it offers a lot of potential for our multiple studies in bilingual preparation because in my opinion, it offers the most appropriate theoretical foundation to examine our bilingual teacher development.  I like the way it examines learning from a context based perspective, taking into consideration the sociocultural and historical aspects.   I really think that to understand the development of our pre service teachers we need to consider their history, their experiences both in our program and in their lives.  Since we are situated in the US/ Mexico border, the development of these preservice teachers is heavily impacted by their hybrid identities as both American and Mexican.  Multilingualism is also an important component and we cannot forget the history of the area and how it impacts the overall development of everyone here.

Our research project has multiple layers. Some of us are focusing on very specific aspects of our bilingual teacher preparation program.  I am particularly interested in examining the development of professional identities in our teachers and how the development of their cultural identities interacts with their professional identities. We have a lot of data. from cultural identity surveys and online discussions, educational philosophy assignments, focus group discussions that asked for their perspectives on the program and some incredible assignments. Some are very reflective, like the development of a classroom management plan and video analisis of thematic units used in teaching children in a sumer library program. In the fall, I will be doing observations of student teaching. As a long term plan, I will observe some of these participants when they become teachers.  I am interested in examining their growth as teachers longitudinally from the time they entered the program last fall semester to the completion of their first year as teachers which will be December of 2011.

Although, I think CHAT is the way to go in my study, I must also state that I am a novice and have only recently become familiar with CHAT.  I realize that is a complex theory, because it is based on examining the world from multiple perspectives. I think this is one of the positive aspects of CHAT. After all, the world is complex and there are many simplistic approaches that are overly superficial and cannot possibly help us to fully understand human development.  I am not interested in those approaches. But because CHAT is complex, I feel I need to really learn it before I can use it.

I am now getting familiar with the vocabulary and main concepts through a lit research of the latest writings and studies that have used CHAT.   A big question I have at this point is what kings of analytical methods are used in CHAT studies? Are qualitative methods generally applied in other kinds of studies also applied in studies that use CHAT as an analytical lens? Or have CHAT theorists developed their own methods for analyzing data that best fit activity theory? This is only the beginning, to fully use CHAT as a foundation for our research, we need to get some good professional development in the use of CHAT as a theoretical basis for our analysis and interpretations of the development of bilingual teachers.

In the meantime, I will check the XMCA. Do we have to subscribe to the listserv to post questions?

Thanks Pete for making this dialogue possible. Let's see if we can plan a video conference for us to learn more about how to use activity theory.

Alcione

My

Alcione N. Ostorga, Ph. D
Associate Professor