Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Bakhtin (or, The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural Redux)

Dear David,

The two quotes and stand points that you write about, the perspectives of Bakhtin  and Vygotsky do not have the same focus.  Bakhtin and Vygotsky, I would say, have two different frames of mind -- their concerns are different. It is not that they are not looking at the seemingly the same phenomenon, but they are looking at it with different concerns and for different reasons.

It is ironical, that Vygotsky, who brought to our attention the social in the individual, was actually concerned with the birth, growth and the development of one's understanding and experiencing (perezhivanie) the world through personal transformation of concepts, attitudes and sensibilities ("transformation of water into wine") -- so he ultimately was concerned about the epistemological issues. What was remarkable is that he realized that the real life moment (social-cultural-historical - structural qualities of the environment) and the relationships with others -- represent simultaneously the substance of the developing individual and the shaping and formatting tools (mediation) of the developmental process. But still Vygotsky's main concern was the individual development (and through it the raise toward the absolute (god?)) toward more powerful forms of comprehension (not only cognitive, but in all its aspects).

On the other hand, I see Bakhtin as being concerned with human relationships, their quality and their impact on the people who relate -- their ontological substance in terms of life and death, power and subordination, love and hate, honoring and despising, leading and following... He was concerned about conditions for a person to grow in the relationships in which s/he is fair and just and is being treated fairly and justly. And he was concerned with various implications of these relationships, expectations, fears and hopes on how one perceives the world and her/himself. So I would say that for Bakhtin - the epistemological was in the service of the prevailing concern with human existence (ontological) and that the measure of development was not in the complexity of one's concepts, but in the complexity and morality of one's relationships and deeds (postupak) toward others.

So if for Vygotsky it was important to study all that is part of the process by which one finds the Truth, for Bakhtin, truth is a means of creating your voice, which  can only be achieved by penetrating and being penetrated by the voices of the others -- i.e. entering into passionate and compassionate relationships and as he says finding yourself in them (returning to yourself).

And in that light -- you can see that the concern with the ultimate enlightenment and the raise toward knowledge, and by implication toward the Truth -- can be "objectivized" (i.e. universal, decontextualized, and scientific) and stripped off of "value statements", i.e. made "godless". And, also one can see that the concern with with the deeply relational understanding of the other and the empathy in human interaction, can be motivated by a very religious drive to find human virtue (as a spiritual category) -- where knowledge and the clarity of concepts are measured not by their structural and systemic properties, but by their ethical value (Bakhtin's "postupok") in creating and shaping relationships.

What do you think?

Ana

Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
Assistant Professor of Education