[xmca] Senior Position at UCSD: Director of CREATE

Colleagues-- A rare and interesting job has become available at UCSD. Here
is how it is described:

The FTE (full time appointment) will be authorized at the Associate or Full
Professor level and will be housed in one of the departments in the division
(of social sciences). In addition to serving as Director of CREATE, the
successful candidate will participate in teaching and research in his/her
home department.

Under the direction of the Director, CREATE conducts basic and design
research on a range of educational equity issues; assesses the academic
performance of Preuss School students; documents the organizational
development of Preuss; uses the Preuss School as a model for the improvement
of public schools in urban areas; provides teacher professional development
resources to schools throughout the San Diego region and the State of
California.

If you have prospective candidates within your discipline who you think
would make a suitable director of CREATE, I invite you to apply for the
opportunity to conduct a search. *By return e-mail by September 10th*,
please explain the benefits of placing the CREATE Director in your
department or program. Please also identify 2 or 3 prospective candidates by
name, rank, and current institution. Candidates who will advance goals of
increasing diversity on campus are particularly desired. I will treat these
names in confidence; identifying them will give me a sense of the viability
of a search by your department or program.

Associate Deans Lake, Padden, Director Mehan, and I will review the
applications and authorize 1 or 2 departments to conduct a search this Fall.
You will be notified of our decision by September 30. The search will be
carried out by an interdisciplinary committee that will include members of
the potential home departments/programs.
I would add to this specification that CREATE is heavily involved in other
outreach/intervention research. The person applying should check out the
CREATE website at UCSD and be able to make a case that they can be of
use to a social science department AND engage in compelling research on
school reform that is sensitive to ongoing social issues in San Diego.

Great job for the right person.