RE: [xmca] a Russian noun

Thank you, Andy,

I wonder I understood better now.

In Portuguese is not the same. If I translate "uma unidade" (an unit, maybe) this can means "one unit among others", but if I translate "a unidade" (the unit), this will sounds as "the only one unit". We here call "definite article" (o/a; os/as) or "indefinite article" (um/uma, uns/umas), and I understand this is not the same distinction contable/uncontable, perhaps in portugues this "uncontable", occurs without articles. For us "experiência" ("experience") could be a general concept, uncontable, but we can say "Eu tive uma boa experiência" (I had a good experience?) = a contable... it was singular, for instance "to stay at Foz do Iguaçu Falls with family in last summer" - this was "uma boa experiência" (a good experience), it was the "only one" (definite), but seems to be "contable"...

We have another problem here in Brazil, because from Russian to Portuguese, at least two different words can be translated as "experiência" (experience) = "perezhivanie", but also "opit". A Russian friend of mine, understand the all perezhivanie are opit, but not all opit are perezhivanie... Maybe for English this could be considered too... Perezhivanie in some aspects can be broader than your English "experience", but in other aspects your English "experience" can be broader than "perezhivanie" too... - "Broader" in "generalization degree", but not necessarily in "semantic field" and/or "objectal references" ("concrete contend") - if you use Vygotsky's terms from chapter 6 (Though an language) to the "system of coordinates" of a concept... But I guess some indistinction in translate equally "perezhivanie" and "opit" as "experience" in English and "experiência" in Portugueses, causes some problems too... Beyond this, sometimes you will find "perezhivanie" translated only as  "emotion" too... what for me is not very appropriate...

But your question is different and I understand more philosophical, deeper question than my observations. Because if "Expecience is a unity of consciousness" can not have sense in English, maybe another word but "experience" must be used, because "perezhivanie" is a unit [edinitsa] of consciousness for LSV. There is also a difference between "unit" (edinitsa) and "unity" (edinstvo) in Vygotsky... what is very interesting too, because you can decompose a "unity" (edinstvo) into "units" (edinitsi) or in "elements" (this is what Vygotsky do not want to do), but a "unit" can not be decomposed more, a unit is un-decomposable dynamic reality... "Perezhivanie" is a methodological unit (edinitsa) for understand the whole consciousness "unity" (edinstvo). Somewhere in Vygotsky's texts I found "edinstvo" as "complex unity", and edinitsa as "simple unit"... I guess I can localize in English if could be usefu. But I saw only in Russian/Spanish-Portuguese, until now.

Achilles.