Re: [xmca] Fwd: the Ideal of lived uncertainty as a moral good

>From Carol:
Can collaboration not be conceived as at times being mutual reflection [not
losing *all* of its original meaning]? Actually, I reflect on "my" meaning
and I reflect on "our" meaning.  In work one of my students did on
reflective practice it involved  teacher reflecting on what she did, coded
for the researcher in the form of a diary which got discussed, but they
mutually discussed aspects of lessons observed as well as mutually reflected
on videod lessons. In this approach there is no place to sink back into
total individual internalness, because even writing up the PhD meant making
public the meaning of whole project.

When I work with people collaboratively I ask about the mutual meaning we
are creating all the time. That is interspersed with interrogating others
about what they mean, when they are sharing their understanding. (I am
probably irritating because I know I interrupt far more than other people
do.)

There should not be an opposition between imagination and reflection? At the
very least we could saw that one of the functions of reflection is
imagination--this is the most primitive level I would say. Otherwise how
could we generate novelty? Or are people suggesting we can't think in
pictures... intuitively. Physicists do, and their work may be considered the
highest form of reflection.

Not sure I have captured your subtlety, Larry. (But then again I rarely do
:-)  ) To live with uncertainty is surely to live with possibility.

WORK as:
Visiting Lecturer
Wits School of Education
HOME (please use these details)