[xmca] Fwd: NYTimes.com: What Is It About 20-Somethings?

about emerging adulthood, following a Marxist grounding, I would assume that
CHAT might suggest looking at the sociohistorical context for the emergence of
this stage of development - particularly in the economic context of today. Here I
don't just mean the recent crash but the transformation of the economy over
the past fifty years - maybe it is a myth, but I have been told of a time when,
upon graduating college, a person would go and find a job that they would be
in for at least 10 years and possibly their whole life. Nowadays, a college grad
might work for a place for a year or two and then jump to another job and so
on... I think that it is this transformation in the economy that has lead to the
stage of emerging adolescence (I prefer "adultolescence").

[[And flipping the question, one can ask, what this does "emerging adolescence"
do for the economy. Quite simply, it is a way of staving off crisis. By keeping
potentially high salaried people from getting high salaries, it staves off the
potential deflation (or "inflation" if salaries remained high) in middle-class
standard of life that would happen if all of these college grads were to try to go
into the high paying jobs that their parents went into upon graduating, and
maintains the appearance that everyone could live the good life if only they
chose to do so.]]

What is it about today's economy that makes it so much more common for
youths (formerly adults, i.e. 20 somethings) to be living at home. And who is it
exactly that is living at home? Is this consistent across SES categories?  At my
(former) department's conference for Master's theses this past year there were
two papers on a panel together. One was arguing the extended adolescence
position by investigating University of Chicago graduates and the other was an
exploration of the anxieties of black working class new mothers. It just so
happens that they were both dealing with subjects of approximately the same
age but with markedly different experience of adult-hood. A question was
asked to the student researching adulthood among college graduates "do you
think that these college graduates would see these new mothers as adults?". I
think that is a great question.

I'm sure if one looked around the globe, the category of emerging adulthood or
adultolescence (as some have called it) would look increasingly preposterous as
a universal category of development. To link back to the linguistic relativity
question, as Larry pointed out, John Lucy notes that as people get older, one
would expect the relativity effects to get stronger. This would suggest that older
developmental categories will be more likely to be historically and culturally
particular. And I suspect that this has a lot to do with why there hasn't been
much said about them - Psychologists generally don't like talking about things
that are culturally particular...

-greg

Message: 13