From: Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Experiences or an experience
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Friday, August 27, 2010, 11:46 AM

Andy, David, Achilles

Thanks for your clarifications and dialogue [or should I say trialogue]  on
this thread.

Andy, "life is not so easy" but your elaboration of the complexity in this
thread was helpful.
As I interpret the comments within  this  thread

"word meaning" as a unit of analysis helps explain the "object" of "verbal
thought" which comes into existence at approximately 2 years of age. To
explore an alternative object of analysis such as "pre-verbal thought" is to
search for an alternative unit of analysis. "Verbal thought" after age 2 is
the "macrocosm" of consciousness but NOT THE TOTALITY.  If we are attempting
to explain phenomena that "may be" [abductive conjecture] outside the object
of "verbal thought" then  word meaning is not the unit of analysis that
should be engaged.  We must look for an alternative unit of analysis or
perspective.

The broader category or "object of analysis" is "consciousness" which is
defined as the relation or interplay of the human being within the
environment. In order to explain "consiousness" as the human/environment
interplay and to explain the genetic and historical FORMATION of
"consciousness" the most coherent "unit of analysis" is pereshivanie.

Is this interpretation of this thread misunderstanding the train of thought
or am I somewhat on track?

Larry