From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Andy Blunden
Sent: Thu 8/19/2010 3:05 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: the Ideal of lived uncertainty as a moral good

On a separate list there has been a discussion going on in
which Ralph Dumain says that Analytical Philosophy was long
(pre WW2) regarded in the US as a "foreign import" and that
Prgamatism is indeed closer to German philosophy than Anglo.
I think that is fair. Dewey and James were both trained in
Germany weren't they? Mead and Dewey were both responding to
Hegel. And American Pragmatism goes back to the 18th
century. I am ignorant here, but even Benjamin Franklin was
surely closer to problems being discussed in Europe??? Does
someone know?

Anyways ... Dumain thinks that Pragmatism and Analytical
Philosophy were reconciled with Quine and after that the
Vienna Circle were the main European source, which I count
as Analytical.

Andy

<<winmail.dat>>