From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: 14 August 2010 01:02
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Refugees and Conception

Ah-- I understand better now both what happened in your CL experiment and
the relation to modes of reasoning among the immigrant mothers, Denise.

With respect to your CL experiment. I think, on the basis of the added info,
that Yrjo would be very sceptical that it IS a CL experiment. I am. The goal
is not one articulated by the mom's, it is in the assumptions of the hidden
assumptions of the interveners on the ground. Good intentions, but not a
great way to start an intervention project from a CL/CHAT perspective. (I
may be wrongly interpreting what you describe).

With respect reasoning. See the two papers below which I got to by googling
scribner syllogisms:

Scribner<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T24-3XM2
T3P-5&_user=4429&_coverDate=09%2F30%2F1999&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_s
ort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1430215488&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C
000059602&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4429&md5=0845f03d4d5066d28e26c62f
464eeeb7#bbib12>,
S., 1975. Recall of classical syllogisms: a cross-cultural interpretation of
errors on logical problems. In: Falmagne, R.J. Editor, , 1975. *Reasoning:
Representation and Process* Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, pp.
153-173.
Scribner<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T24-3XM2
T3P-5&_user=4429&_coverDate=09%2F30%2F1999&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_s
ort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1430215488&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C
000059602&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=4429&md5=0845f03d4d5066d28e26c62f
464eeeb7#bbib13>,
S., 1977. Modes of thinking and ways of speaking: culture and logic
reconsidered. In: Johnson, P.N. and Watson, P.C. Editors, 1977.
*Thinking*Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 483-500.

Both build on Luria's work in very thoughtful ways. There are other relevant
refs available there as well. Are these helpful?
mike

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Denise Newnham <dsnewnham@bluewin.ch>wrote:

> Dear Mike,
>
> Two things to situate and I reply for the wider network as well: The
Change