Re: [xmca] Question

Hi Elina
I support Mike's recommendation that you look at articles by Alex Gillespie
and Jack Martin on neo-Meadian approaches to reflexivity and
self-consciousness.  The CENTRAL concept in  their theoretical approach is
reflexivity or "perspective taking" which in Meadian approaches is much more
inclusive than "cognition or thinking".  Reflexivity is a concept which
elaborates "ORIENTATION to life worlds" and EMERGES [is not essential or
innate] within social ACTS [with OTHER persons].  As Mike points out Mead's
approach has many similarities with cultural-historical theory.
You can find many articles by Gillespie at his website at Stirling
University where he has a long list of articles posted.

By engaging with Martin's and Gillespie's writings you will be introduced to
alternative models of reflexivity and self-consciousness as they articulate
how they believe their theoretical approach adds something new to modelsof
the emergence of reflexivity within layers [NOT STAGES] of historical
development.
Your topic is also a central and guiding question for how I orient to the
world. I LOVE to attempt to juxtapose Vygotsky and Mead as two approaches,
which in CONVERSATION have the capacity to FORM new PERSPECTIVES on the
centrality of reflexivity to the emergence of self-consciousness whithin
social ACTS.

Larry