Re: [xmca] Question

Mike -
I can relate to a LOT of trouble. Both notions are used in many different
ways in the contexts of development and learning. A few weeks ago, during
Vygotsky Summer School, Gennadiy Kravtsov and I had a long conversation
about my cross-cultural research on reflection or as you say "reflexia". He
talked about reflection/reflexivity in the context of "self-consciousness"
and we discussed reflexivity as a condition for the development of
self-consciousness. He believes that the notion of "self-consciousness" (
that I distinguish from reflexivity) was never developed fully in
cultural-historical tradition. Knowing that there is still lack of bridge
between Russian and the rest of the world cultural-historical research, I
wanted to learn whether there are studies that connect reflection (
"reflexia") and self-consciousness. It is interesting that you mentioned
both "reflexia" and "self-consciousness' in the context of meta-cognition.
It seems to me that learning activity theory conceptualized reflection as a
metacognitive process, although Vygotsky never discussed it as a cognitive,
or metacognitive process. There is also an important language difference,
Russian language doesn't have an everyday use of the word reflection, it
only exists as a philosophical or psychological notion.

Part of this conversation was discussion of the nature of higher
psychological functions. I am still puzzled with what Vygotsky meant by
function ( Seth Chaiklin and I posed this question in 2002 and as we
discussed recently and are still looking for an answer...:-), but Gennadi
and I believe that reflection and will are not higher psychological
functions. We are in the process of developing a proposal for the ISCAR
symposium on these issues.

In any case, I was just wondering if there are studies on the development of
self-consciousness and/or reflexivity that are not necessarily rooted in
Russian philosophical thought.

As you can see, I am in the state of questioning, so directions for further
questioning will be highly appreciated.

Elina