Re: [xmca] Dialogue on Concepts Part 1 Released!

I want to point out that none of this--NONE of it--would have gotten off the drawing board without Paula and her brilliant (re)presentation of the blocks experiment and presentation of completely new evidence on Vygotsky's OWN ambivalence about his OWN block experiment results.

I mention this for two reasons. First of all, Paula in her uneffaceable modesty tends to efface her own contribution (by, among other things, attributing the idea to Andy and ignoring that the execution, from the first presentation to the technical mixing of the other two presentations, was entirely her own).

Secondly, it's a very dense piece of work and demands a lot of multi-tasking on the viewer's part (in addition to non-redundant text in audio and in video form there are Paula's playful graphics). Even (especially) the most musical mind can take in only so many notes in the evening, and so it's easy to simply forget Paula's overture and only cling to the ripping arias at the end of the evening ("Comtessa, perdone! Perdone! Perdone!" "Piu dolce io sono...et dico di si....")

That is, alas, how operas and conversations work; we uptake the last thing we heard rather than the first. Languages have evolved to put the hearer salient information last for precisely that reason, and this is one reason why even English, one of the more reactionary holdouts of the linguistic family, is evolving relentlessly towards the topic-comment structure that Asian languages discovered and perfected so long ago.

Having said all that, I'm going to uptake the last three things I heard: Monica's comment on the possiblity of other concepts, Larry's remark on the role of the distal in concept formation, and Mike's wish to see research into the possiblity of developing true concepts outside of schools. With any luck, I might be able to connect this with what I take to be Paula's central point, which is that the key feature which distinguishes Chapter Five concept formation from Chapter Six concept formation is the absence and then the presence of a system.

Larry remarks that objectivity and distance, secondary as opposed to primary intersubjectivity, is a key factor in the development of the concept. I think I would say that it is necessary but insufficient. It's necessary because for the infant there is no clear functional need to take up the indicative (pointing) function in place of the ostensive (holding) function without spatial distance, and there is no clear functional need for the toddler to take up the denominative function in place of the indicative function without distance.

But Vygotsky keeps reminding us that functional explanations are not explanations at all: "we developed language because we needed it to survive" gives us the WHY but not the HOW, and it's a little like explaining the flight of the cannonball by the aim of the gunner. I think that distance gives us the functional reason for developing indication over ostension and denomination over indication and signification (concepts) over denomination (complexes, to use Chapter Five lingo).

Distantiation is insufficient because it just gives us generalization, and not objective analytical abstraction. If I see a speck on the horizon, I have a great deal of distance, and I might want to use "that speck on the horizon" to refer to it, but I do not need a concept (either a true concept or a science concept) to do this. Only certain kinds of activities (and many of these occur in laboratories and classrooms) combine both distance and objective, analytical abstraction necessary for science concepts (I think true concepts, including "furniture" and "food", are another matter).

Mike and Monica raise the extremely important issue of whether science concepts ONLY occur in laboratories and classrooms. I think the answer to this question really MUST be no, or else we cannot explain how concepts get into laboratories and classrooms in the first place. But for most of us, including me, the answer has got to be yes, because we need the system in place before we can place the concepts in it properly.

Claude Lorrain was the first person to paint the sun in a realistic canvas; this was supposed to be impossible, because you couldn't actually look at it, and the idea was that nothing can be realistically painted without direct contemplation. But Claude was clever enough to realize that nothing is ever directly painted in the first place; as Mike says, all ideas, complexes, concepts, and even raw objects, are heavily mediated, but they are mediated in different ways.

(I think in this remark Mike actually explains why "mediation", which is an absolutely central concept in Mead and in Luria and even in many places in Vygotsky, hardly occurs at all in the pages of "Thinking and Speech". Vygotsky must have realized that "mediation" was one of those concepts that explains everything, and as a result distinguishes nothing, and cannot be used to distinguish preconceptual from conceptual thinking.)

Claude painted the system first: the way in which the sun illuminates the sea, the buildings, the trees and the faces of St. Ursula. Then he gradually moves towards the setting sun, increasing the illumination and reducing the color. On the very edge of the horizon, where the sun is dipping into the sea, he leaves the canvas entirely blank, and in the gesso plaster that he used to ground the canvas, the mind creates the concept of the sun.

Claude was a baker, though, and he was largely self-taught (his experiences in the academy were, for the most part, disastrous). So what was really necessary for Claude's great discovery was not schooling but system. For most of us, that means a small culture of some kind: a laboratory or a classroom. But Paula's triumph is that she has found a way to generate entirely new scientific concepts without a classroom, even in my miserable brain.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education