Re: [xmca] Universalism, Relativism, and Developmentalism

Shweder is a complex character who position on issues of cultural relativism
gets him in a lot of hot water but he keeps his cool and is usually better
informed than those he is working with.
The use of anthropologists as an instrument of war has a very long and
complex and not glorious past. I believe that to occupy such a position is
extraordinarily fraught with moral dilemmas.

His article with co-authors, "Who sleeps with whom, revisited" is a
brilliant METHODOLOGICAL study well worth reading. If you are out to get
mad, read his long standing of female, and male, genitical surgical
practices, but beware that you will be encountering a very well informed
person.

mike