Re: [xmca] FW: Cultural History of Play

I am also very interested in this suggestion -- my delay in responding was
not due to lack of interest! -- and think a skype multi-party discussion is
a great way to start.  Beth

On 7/6/10, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems to me that this is the sort of thing that needs to be done
> collaboratively, including collaboratively with a journal or publishing
> house editor. It could even be started as a few skype multi-party
> discussions by key participants to see the extent to which they make sense
> to each other.
>
> I have done research with standard psychological tasks in the Yucatan in
> the
> past, and clearly one issue in cross-cultural/cross-national research on
> play and development is the issue of what constitutes legitimate data for
> what kinds of claims (what kinds of warrants) should be part of the
> discussion. But I suggest you start with Mary's contribution: There are
> some
> things clearly important in those citations and there will be points of
> disagreement, of course.
>
> I see no need at the moment to fall into the neurosciences craze and wait
> upon it. Viz a viz theory of mind there are summaries of existing data to
> be
> had. Pentti's point about the difficulties of international communication
> owing to different theoretical backgrounds, which have different traditions
> for linking theory to data (e.g., different methodOLIGIES - principled
> linkages between theory and data).
>
> Pentti is in the best position of anyone interested in this topic I know of
> for selecting something from Elkonin. (I didn't know anything other than
> what appeared in the book and thought you could choose from there, but of
> course, that would be up to you).
>
> As in all such endeavors, does anyone want to play "take the lead" and
> create such an activity? If not, we'll just putt along as we were. Great
> topic, play, especially when it is considered allong with socioemotional
> attachment, learning what your parents and the world have to teach you in
> school and elsewhere, peer relations, and work(!). That is what makes work
> such as Suzanne's so important; A series of contributions that worked
> "outward" from her basic descriptions of her basic domains would be
> enlightening.
>
> Ah, summer, when for us privileged few, the summer is easy, (if hot,
> sticky,oilspilled, and downright worrisome).
> mike
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Suzanne Gaskins
> <suzanne.gaskins@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > The Maya certainly have executive function (and for that matter they have
> > most forms of play). What they don't have is fantasy play (non-realistic
> > pretend play) and then, also, play is less dominant overall since they
> are
> > busy doing lots of other things in their lives. We have mostly
> correlational
> > data (at best) for the cognitive and social developmental functions of
> play,
> > and there is no reason to think that kids don't get equivalent
> experiences
> [...]

Beth Ferholt
Assistant Professor
School of Education
Brooklyn College, City University of New York
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210-2889

Email: bferholt@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Phone: (718) 951-5205