From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:46 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: [xmca] Natural/Cultural Lines/

I would like to take up Steve Gabosch's suggestion a few days back that the discussion about precepts/concepts etc be viewed in terms of the natural( phylogenetic) and cultural (socio-historical) lines of development a la LSV. There are a lot of aspects to the discussion I am still finding confusing and am struggling to related to LSV's writings. But I am hoping it will help to consider recent work in what are referred to as the "social neurosciences." A variety of this work (I attach some examples, one a review) appears to make an argument that there are levels of processing information about the self and the environment, including others in the environment, that do not reach the level of the cortex and happen very rapidly, perhaps involving cortical processes in a later stage of processing -- or so the story goes. These "cognitive" phenomena appear to akin to what people are discussing about percepts.

On this topic domenstically (as in dinner last night). We had a great ministrone that both my wife and I found especially delicious. But we could not, even in extended discussion, name the apparently shared feeling of excellent taste. We could remember the ingredients, speculate and what might have led to the neat combination, but could not name "it" although we could both distinguish it.

For those interested.