From:   Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
To:     "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date:   07/12/2010 11:29 AM
Subject:        Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc
Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu

Eric,

I think the difficulty that I am having with the proposals that people
have been making about percepts and concepts is that, if my understanding
is correct, these have been proposed as entities that belong (in some
sense) to an individual, and more than this that they are internal to the
individual - internal mental entities, distinct from the world in which
that individual lives.

I would say that we have learned from the work of Gibson and others that
perception is an active interaction with and in the world. If 'forms'
emerge in perception, these forms are not within the individual, they are
forms of active attunement in practical activity. I would propose that we
think of conception, too, as an active and interactive process.

And a social process too. We won't understand the ontogenesis of any of
this if we leave out the social moment. To return to pain, for example,
the first thing a toddler does when they fall over and skin their knees is
check to see how their parents are reacting. Only then will they cry, or
laugh, or jump up and keep playing. Whether it is a painful experience or
not is from the start a social matter.

Martin