Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc

There's the rub, ay.  Let me answer this way. I think LSV's analysis of the development of concepts offers some important insights and raises some difficult questions. One of the insights is that we cannot use a word to label a concept (as I have been doing, writing of the concept of 'cardinal'), because word meaning develops. What the word 'dog' means to a 2 year old is not what it means to a 20 year old. That raises the question, though, of how we can talk and write about concepts. Do we go back to the computational approach of lists of features? (Cardinal = human  + male + catholic + red hat - which is about as far as my version of this concept goes!)  But isn't that just repeating the problem, now with multiple words in place of one?

Second, we should not speak of single concepts in isolation, because they always operate together as a system of generalization - the globe (even though some systems are more systematic than others, as Paula has pointed out.) So Cardinal works together with Pope and Religion and Sam Neil...  Okay, this makes sense, but the question of how to describe things becomes harder still, because we have to somehow describe the whole system.

Third, I can't see a way of adequately describing my experience with the salt-shaker except in terms of many psychological functions working together. There is MEMORY - the recollection of Wolsey's hats, IMAGINATION of the salt-shaker *as though* a cardinal; THINKING - of the salt-sharer *as like* a cardinal (though of course it lacks several of the defining features); and then PERCEPTION - seeing the little cardinal, if only for a few seconds.

Put these points together and there is good reason to think that Eric's concept of music and mine identify different features, operate within different systems of generalization, and will be employed in different ways in conjunction with the other psychological functions. Add to that that Eric and I will use the words in different ways in different circumstances. He may call out 'Wolsey' while I say 'cardinal.' He may say 'music' when listening to John Cage; I may say 'noise.' Even when the reference is shared, the words may differ and the concepts too.

LSV writes of conversations between adult and child where the two use the same word but mean different things. His analysis seems to me to suggest that two adults will be in the same situation. On the one hand that seems to run up against Wittgenstein's arguments against the possibility of a private language. On the other hand, there is Garfinkel's insistence, way back in 1969, that our common model of communication as working because speaker and listener shame 'the same' language and 'the same' background assumptions is mistaken. For Garfinkel two people communicating are working out what the words mean in the moment. Or, better, they are working out how to get some joint project accomplished, and if they use words whose meaning/conception is different for each of them, that's not (usually) a problem. They *do* have in common their practical activity.

I guess what I'm saying, in a nutshell, is that LSV wrote of concepts as *one* way of relating to the world, not as the only way and not in isolation. There is active construction, for sure, but it is in interaction with the world. He also gave us a lot of questions we still haven't figured out how to answer.

Martin