Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc

eric:

It seems to me that you can't get to concepts from percepts. If you could, then you could not get to science concepts from everyday concepts. Now, you might argue that the development of science concepts in laboratories by people like Newton and in observational studies corroborated mathematically by people like Galileo is an example of this kind of empiricism, the development of a true science concept from raw perceptual observations.

THAT, it seems to me, is romantic science, not in the sense that Luria meant it, but in the conception of the scientist as a romantic poet in a garret, observing light entering a prism in his chamber and pulling science concepts out of it like sonnets.

But I think in every case, history will show how they cheated. They knew what to look for and where to look before they started looking, through precisely the kind of abstract thinking that Andy indulges in; the point is that they ROSE to the concrete from abstract thinking.

Newton didn't develop the notion of white light as a mixture of colors from observation alone, and Galileo knew perfectly well tht the speed at which an object rolls down an inclined plane does not depend on its mass before he ever started fiddling with cannonballs.

My father is a boatbuilder, just like you (he's working on a Whitehall boat now, with gorgeous clinker built strakes along the side). When he was still in his thirties, and before there was any satellite data, he made very rough calculations about how the earth creates a shock wave in the solar wind. These were not corraborated by the first data from America's first Explorer satellites (which were hurriedly launched in respnse to Sputnik and had very little scientific value).

But then he was able to show how the the earth's magnetic field would bend radiation from the sun (and this is in fact how Aurora take place). This became the accepted account of a number of phenomena, including why the Van Allen radiation belts do not cover the poles.

Now, I always assumed he came to this from his life long love of waves and boats, and of course a general predisposition to the study of solar wind would come naturally to a sailor-physicist. I thought he just spent a lot of time with his head hanging over the bow of a rowboat observing the eddies in the current. But when I tried out this theory on him a few years ago, he laughed.

Yes, some of the phenomena that made him (a little) famous back in the fifties are perceptually observeable, not from boats but from the distortion of sunlight by the shock wave created by air going over an airplane wing at supersonic speeds (because although the plane is going subsonically, the Bernouilli effect can create a shockwave that will bend the rays of the sun). But in order to understand it, and even in order to notice it, you first need a pencil and a whole lot of paper.

I am interested in two things in the two New Yorker covers, and I think BOTH of them come from things I read rather than things I can see. In the one Martin draws our attention to, I am struck by the wide variety of associations that produce the June "couples" we see: sometimes opposites attract, and sometimes they repel, sometimes love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage, and sometimes they go together like a compass and a magnet. The only thing that all these "couples" have in common is Vygotsky's extreme North Pole: the number two as a RELATION between quantities rather than as quantity itself. This is, of course, not a percept.

Because the the associative principle is infinitely variable, we can think of an associative chain, or a diffuse complex that will include virtually any two objects. This means, of course, that we can create mnemo-technical devices to link almost anything with almost anything else, and a number of Vygotsky and Luria's experiments on linking (e.g.) a camel and the concept of "death" or a crab and a slice of bread played precisely on this ability. The only really effective method of vocabulary learning, the keyword method, works on the same principle, and so did the astonishing and almost completely NONperceptual memory tricks that Luria records in "Mind of a Mnemonist".

The rhombus of fish and birds is a very different concept, but it represents something that to me anyway is equally inperceptible; it represents the principle of self-similarity, because the rhombus is made up of other rhombuses. In the same way, we find that classroom discourse is made up of exchanges, sequences, episodes, and even whole lessons that have a rough three part structure: getting attention, giving information, and checking integration:

T: Hi, there! My name is Mr. K. And you?

T: What's this?
S: It's an apple.
T: Right.

T: Now, today we're going to look at and listen to a new dialogue. Then we'll repeat the lines. And finally we'll play a game.

It's very tempting to see this as a set of rhombuses that make up a big rhombus (or a set of triangles that make up a big triangle), in the same way that melodies by Bach can be seen as sequences that make up larger sequences which are really expanded copies of themselves.

It's very tempting to see this as a purely NATURAL phenomenon, like the structure of a fern leaf, and describable in terms of chaos-complexity concepts like self-similar scaling and fractal geometry.

But when we look at the APEX of the rhombus (the overall structure of the lesson) and the BASE of the rhombus (the "summing up" that the teacher does at the end of the lesson) we notice that either the turns or the exchanges are unusually long, in much the same way that the pelican and the turtle are outstandingly detailed.

This to me suggests that they are designed; they are conscious, they are not simply produced in the same way that other rhombuses are, inter-mentally. So although there IS self-similarity, there is also difference, and the differences stem precisely from the greater self-consciousness and more deliberate design of the extremities of the lesson.

There is a very strong tendency in discourse studies to treat discourse as a natural phenomenon which can be examined quite independent of human volition; as a percept and not as a concept (e.g. 'conversation without mind"). But conversation without mind is noise, not news.

The truth is that the apparently non-deliberate structure of conversation comes from an excess of minds and not from a paucity thereof; it comes from the fact that minds meet and cooperate or contend for domination of the discourse, not from the mindless interaction of an ant with the obstacles that it meets with perceptually as it walks along the seashore.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education

 .