From: Issues around children's play needs [mailto:PLAY-CHILDREN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Alice Atkinson-Bonasio
Sent: 29 June 2010 08:34
To: PLAY-CHILDREN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Cultural History of Play

Dear List Members,

I am currently conducting some preliminary research for an edited collection of works addressing the cultural history of Play.  We are particularly interested in work that addresses and unpacks the meaning and cultural importance of particular play phenomena in the past. This is not about the objects and mechanics of play in and of themselves, but the way that play as it happened in the past is connected to wider structures of identity, power, pleasure, work and consumption practices, etc.

We are aiming to gather material and a list of contributors for a symposium in 2011, with a planned date for publication around the end of 2012.

If you have some material that might be appropriate or would like to be involved, please do get in touch as soon as possible. Equally, if you are unsure that your area of interest fits the above description, drop me a line and I'll be happy to clarify things.

Furthermore, if anybody has any suggestions of other email groups which might be relevant to this project, please do let me know.

Many thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to your responses.

All the best,

Alice Atkinson-Bonasio
Research Assistant
"Cultural History of Play" Project