[xmca] Cultural Historical Research SIG CALL for PAPERS AERA 2011

Please consider joining us next year in New Orleans!

[Perhaps the online course materials could be shared as a course on
site? With some of us as facilitators? Andy and Luisa, what do you
think?]

Dear CH-SIG members and xmca-ers!

We would like to encourage you to submit proposals for papers and
symposia for inclusion in the 2011 CH-SIG program at the AERA Annual
Meeting, to be held in New Orleans, LA, from Friday, April 8 - Tuesday,
April 12, 2011.

This year's Annual Meeting theme, "Inciting the Social Imagination:
Education Research for the Public Good," is one that has clear
connections to the work of many of the members of our SIG.  Details of
the theme can be found at http://www.aera.net/Default.aspx?id=10188
<http://www.aera.net/Default.aspx?id=10188> .   We welcome all
submissions, and are particularly interested this year in considering
proposals that explore this general theme from a cultural-historical
perspective.

We strongly encourage your submissions, as the quality of our program
depends largely on the strength of the proposals that we receive. Also,
keep in mind that the number and type of sessions allocated by AERA to
each unit are based in part on the total number of proposals received by
the unit - so please submit your proposals to our SIG!   You can view
this year's call for proposals at
http://www.aera.net/uploadedFiles/Publications/Journals/Educational_Rese
archer/3904/359-380_05EDR10.pdf

This year's submission deadline is JULY 15, 2010. All proposals must be
submitted electronically through the AERA Online Proposal Submission
System, which is now open at
https://www.aera.net/AALogin2011.aspx?ReturnURL=/WS/UpdateAA2011.aspx

Please note also that, beginning with the 2010 Annual Meeting and
continuing this year, the number of paper/symposium sessions available
at the Annual Meeting overall was decreased by about 30% from prior
years, and the emphasis on roundtable and poster sessions was increased.
We will do our best to accommodate the preferred format of accepted
proposals, but please do understand that traditional paper sessions and
symposia slots will be limited in comparison to past Annual Meetings.
We encourage you to consider whether alternative formats might also be
suited to your presentation, and to indicate this in your proposal.
Please feel free to communicate with us as Program co-Chairs if you have
questions about the format of your submission.

Finally, the new guidelines for individual paper, roundtable, and poster
sessions require submission of a "narrative paper" of 2000 words or
less, and not simply a "proposal to write a paper."  While this might
appear to be a major change from past practices, we want to emphasize
that the guidelines state that this paper "may be a final or preliminary
paper," and that the final paper need not be submitted until 3 weeks
prior to the Annual Meeting.  We expect again to be generous in our
interpretation of "preliminary," especially during these transitional
years.

Please feel free to contact us for clarification of any of these
procedures.  We hope that you will consider our SIG when preparing your
proposals.

We hope to hear from you!

Sincerely,
Emily Duvall
Kevin O'Connor

Cultural-Historical Research SIG Program co-chairs

Emily Duvall, PhD

Assistant Professor of Curriculum & Instruction

Assistant Professor of Neuroscience

University of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene,

1031 North Academic Way, Suite 242, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

emily@uidaho.edu
--
Please note - new contact information as of 7/1/10:

Kevin O'Connor
Assistant Professor
School of Education, 249 UCB
University of Colorado