Re: [xmca] Layers versus stages

A quote by Jerome Bruner in an article he wrote for an edited book by
Leonard Cirillo & Seymour Wapner, "Value Presuppositions in Theories of
Human Development" (1986) captures the relationship between developmental
theories and cultural imaginaries:

"Culturally congruent phenomena unearthed or constructed by modern theories
of human development come to be canonized as desirable realities if they
conform to values already independently in being within the culture.  Where
theories of human development become classic... is when they unearth or
discern a previously undiscovered grouping of processes that extend or
elaborate a cultural value that was previously implicit and is now made
explicit."[Bruner]

When I reflect on this quote I wonder if Stern's developmental idea of
"layers" and Vygotsky's developmental idea of the expanding globe are
examples of an emerging cultural recognition of the sociocultural turn in
psychology.  This turn has the potential of "imagining" institutional
structures [including theories of development] which are more open
ended and validate a more expanded range of expression. Dialogical theory
supports Stern's emphasis on the dynamic fluidity of development as
layers while hermeneutical accounts remind us of our historical embeddedness
in cultural traditions that constrain this fluidity. However, discursive,
hermeneutical, dialogical, and activity accounts all share the sociocultural
value that we can change the kinds of persons we are becoming.  Stern's
developmental notion of layering embraces this more open view of our
possibilities of being at home in the world.
 Is this wishful thinking on my part or is it one example of shifting value
presuppositions in our cultural imaginary?

Larry