Re: [xmca] The sociocultural turn in psychology

Understood Larry. That's why I used the word "also", except I mistyped and it came out "lso"! :)

andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy
my comments were in the spirit of emphasizing the tradition of psychoanalysis AS A SOCIOCULTURAL PRODUCT AND REFLECTION of the times in which it was written. Through an historical lens Kirschner narrates the roots of the tradition and therefore is contributing to the developing reactions and critiques of psychoanalysis as an historical product influential in the 20th century. The questioning and challenging of its presuppositions in the human sciences has generated deeper reflections on psychology as a tradition. Kirschner's history of psychoanalysis [as an historically constituted product of its time] is an historical sociocultural narrative. I mentioned her previous writing to put in "context" Kirschner's background. I found it interesting that her current book synthesizing sociocultural accounts was written by an author with her previous interests. Moscovici, in explicating his theory of social represention also has written a book on the emergence and dissemination of psychoanalyis as an historical sociocultural phenomena. These historical reflections are in a similar spirit of exploring the notions of Western religion and how the moral themes of Western religious traditions can continue to emerge in contemporary human science narratives. Larry On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net <mailto:ablunden@mira.net>> wrote:

    I've never been very much interested in psychoanalysis (too
    unscientific for me) but Eli Zaretsky's "Secrets of the Soul" (a
    history of psychoanalysis) I really enjoyed, lso emphasising
    psychoanalysis as a product and reflection of the times rather than
    as a viable theory of mind.

    Andy

    Larry Purss wrote:

        PS,
        Andy,for the historian in you, Suzanne Kirschner has written
        another fascinating book on the cultural historical roots of
        psychoanalysis that is an historical  developmental account of
        how Freud's theory is a continuation of our Western religious
        heritage.  A concrete example of how our "traditions that
        constitute us as persons" emerge from specific concrete
        historical circumstances.  She has an interesting intellectual
        background from which to co-author this new book on the
        sociocultural turn in psychology.
        Larry