Re: [xmca] The Non-modular Mind

I *think* the conversation is contiguous, Larry. Tomorrow it will be at the
archives and we can double check, or someone who has not posted in it can
tell us.

Guess I better find the Kirschner and Martin book! I was discussing a
version of the following issue with a colleague while running errands just
now:
*Some accounts emphasize dynamic emergence and others emphasize how we are
implicated and constituted [and constrained] by historical traditions.*

In our conversation this issue came up in terms of the question of why Luria
was so interested in Freud and the question of the role of cultural
mediation in cultural-historical and freudian theories. Musing over this
issue some time ago, I came to the tentative conclusion that for Freud
culture operates as constraint/inhibition of impulses while in general the
Russians emphasized the tool-like nature of culture and cultural mediation.
But I think this one sided interpretation of the Russians in correct, and
perhaps wrong in the opposite way for Freud-- perhaps you can enlighten me
on that side.

But for the Russians there are many very clear statements that mediated
action requires the individual to subordinate themselves to the tool (the
"freudian" side, *in order* to realize the instrumental potential of action.
There are many expressions of this idea that self control and control of the
environment (including others) are part of a single process. This in turn is
closely linked to their ideas about "will" -- we learn to "control ourselves
from the outside."

Applied to the two emphases in your summary of K&M my current view is that
the two positions are only emphases, not difference in principle, but two
sides of the same coin. Withoutout the constraints of tradition (culture as
the accumulated resources for acting in the world) humans would be helpless,
but such resources, never being entirely adequate or even adequately
understood, emergence is ineluctable, unless, of course, the social group is
to die out.

I associate these ideas also with Giddens and others who adopt the mantra
that constrains are both constraining in the usual sense and enabling.
Nicolas Bernstein, whose focus was on movement, argued strongly for the
reduction of degrees of freedom as essential to coordinated action.

Thanks for letting me know that the mandelstam translation piece got
through.

mike