Re: [xmca] Re: Roaming, Scanning and the Objectivity of the SSD/Where is Development

Here is what I think about in this quandry of who is the real andrew:

Another well-known part of the book, which is also found in Chapter 2, is
usually called "Zhuangzi dreamed he was a butterfly" (莊周夢蝶 Zhuāng Zhōu mèng dié). Again, the names have been changed to pinyin romanization for consistency:
Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and
fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't
know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and
unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had
dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi.
Between Zhuangzi and a butterfly there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things. (2, tr. Burton
Watson 1968:49)

Who has nothing left to lose; Zhuangzi or the butterfly?

eric

mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
05/16/2010 08:57 PM
Please respond to lchcmike; Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture,
Activity"