[xmca] Re: One SSD or muliple SSD's or?

My reading was that the paper very adequately identified a situation of dysfunction, namely that the child was subject to conflicting expectations ("values") in the two settings and this led both groups of people, family and state, to believe there was a deficit in his development, and pointed to a remedy, namely that both groups should seek to understand how things worked in the other place.

The thing is that Vygotsky (and Lydia Bozhovich who wrote much on this problem too) both identify the driver for development (not dysfunction) in conflict and contradiction within the epxectations of child and carers.

So what is not clear to me is what is regarded as development in Andrew's case? His ability to square the home/school circle?

Andy

mike cole wrote:
LCHC read the Fleer and Hedegaard paper and part of my weekend plan of work is to post some comments on it. It is a HUGE undertaking of which we are seeing only a part, and it raises a great variety of issues worth deeper consideration. Just thinking of how much work went into taping the 20 hours for this paper boggles my mind, never mind the amount it requires to study the entire corpus. Its a really heroic project.

Here i want to restrict myself to a raising a single question. I have long been interested in the issue of SSD which is not extensively discussed by LSV. I was glad to be pointed at the Kravstova article in JREEP 2006 which I had not read. (I have a pdf that I will send to individuals who ask for it; it does not seem legitimate to post on XMCA until or unless Lena K gives her ok - If you want it, write to mcole@ucsd.edu <mailto:mcole@ucsd.edu>).

I was excited to read the F&H article, because it appeared to promise a way to look at "SSD" as a heterogeneous complex (yep, that word). But when I got to the end, I was not at all sure that it answered its own basic research question (p. 153) although it clearly demonstrated differences between home and school that several have comment on.

Here is what the authors tell us their main research question was:
/The study reported in this article focused on how practices at home influence the child’s activity in school, and how practices in school influence the demands on the child at home. The study also sought to follow the transition of the child across these institutions in order to see how different demands influence a child’s social situation of development./

1. I can see how Andrew's mother was influenced by the demands of the school and share her concerns about medication (more on that in a later note). I can see how Andrew's behavior is different at school than it is at home. But I do not see how home practices /influenced /school behavior or vice versa.

2. I can see how the school is one social situation of development and the home another for Andrew, but I do not understand how knowledge of these two situationS of development tell us about THE situation of development (singular).

3. THE situation development is presumably (this is an issue I have been unable to resolve for myself) of all the situationS of development that Andrew experiences. These include the transitions to and from school, visits to sporting events, and going shopping which i look forward to reading about.

So, my main question is how we arrive at THE SSD from observations in two different institutions, home and school, and by extension to all the other forms of activity Andrew experiences. I imagine it might be conceptualized something like Figure 1, but that figure is not designated as THE SSD.

Can the authors or fellow readers help me out here?
mike
(PS-- reading this on gmail, I note an advertisement for "Super SSD"-
I am afraid to look!) :-)