Re: [xmca] Is Class an "Imagined" Community?

David,

I don't think I was at all trying to say what you imagine me arguing here. I'd be the first to say that contexts matter, and media matter, and content and medium, content and form of expression are at some level quite inseparable and form a meaning-whole.

It is not that face to face and virtual communities are not different, clearly they are in many interesting ways, but virtual communities are none the less communities just for being so virtually. Difference makes sense against the background of commonality, no?

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093