From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Dot Robbins
Sent: 15 April 2010 17:29
To: Culture ActivityeXtended Mind
Subject: Re: [xmca] The strange situation

Dear Helen, Martin, Larry, and All,
Here are some comments on obuchenie from a draft of a chapter to be published....it draws on Jaan Valsiner's 1988 book (truly an excellent book), listed below...also, there is a draft of a paper on the Golden Key school (it is not published), if anyone wants it personally.
Best,
Dot
“Obuchenie” (Unity of Teaching and Learning)
The Russian term obuchenie offers a perfect example of the type of unity that is used as an ideal image within the Golden Key schools, and much of Russian educational theory. This term actually represents the unity of the teacher and pupil. “The translation problem of ‘obuchenie’ lies in the reference to the interdependence of individuals involved in the learning process that the Russian term implies…. ‘obuchenie’ transcends the exclusive teacher/learner separation that other terms carry” (Valsiner, 1988, p. 162). This Russian term refers to “active teaching,” with the realization that teachers can only teach when pupils are able to learn, and the teacher and learner are both “intertwined within a mutually dependent relationship, and the process side of that relationship is what ‘obuchenie’ means in Russian” (Ibid., p. 163). It is interesting to note that there have been many problems of translation of this term, and this
 problem has led to confusion about the Zone of Proximal Development in the West. To date, there has been no discussion in English among Vygotskian scholars and teachers,  I know of, trying to understand the “unified” approach of obuchenie within the Russian, Vygotskian frame of reference related to the ZPD.  Even within a Western view of the ZPD, the teacher is normally viewed as an atomistic figure (particularly in relation to other teachers and their own classrooms); and, the teacher normally functions at a level higher than the pupil. Within the tradition of the Golden Key schools a true community is formed, where all are viewed as partners, and all are necessary for the educational experience to be successful, which also includes the parents.

Valsiner, J. (1988). Developmental psychology in the Soviet Union.  Bloomington/Indianapolis, Indiana: Indiana University Press.