[xmca] FW: Final Call | Writing Research Across Borders II

Final Call for Proposals: Writing Research Across Borders II Proposal
Deadline: May 3, 2010 Conference Location: George Mason University -
N.Virginia/Washington D.C.
Conference Dates: February 17-20, 2011

As societies become more knowledge-intensive and communication technologies
draw us more closely together, the importance of writing in economic,
scientific, civic, personal, and social development becomes more apparent.
Correspondingly, the imperative to conduct research on writing in schools
and the workplace, in relationship to learning and development, and in all
aspects of our lives has invigorated work among scholars in all regions of
the world. The conference Writing Research across Borders II will provide an
opportunity for researchers to share their findings and set research agendas
for the coming years.

Continuing the success of the three previous international research
conferences held at the University of California, Santa Barbara, the 2011
Writing Research Across Borders II will be held at George Mason University
in the Washington D.C./Northern Virginia area.  We invite proposals that
will continue to deepen the cross-disciplinary, international dialogues
across the many different domains of writing research.

As in past years, this conference will focus on writing development across
the lifespan, including the impact of new technologies on learning to write,
early acquisition of writing, writing across grade levels (K-20), writing in
the disciplines and professions, and writing in the workplace or other
community and institutional settings. We invite proposals presenting
research in these areas. We also invite proposals on any other areas of
writing use and practice, such as writing in progressive or large scale
educational programs, or proposals that link writing research and policies.
We welcome papers raising methodological issues about researching writing.
We invite work from any research tradition that is grounded in the
tradition's previous research and pursues the methodical gathering of
qualitative or quantitative data appropriate to its claims.

Proposals should identify the format preferred (panels, roundtables,
individual presentations, and poster presentations). Individual or poster
proposals should be a maximum of 500 words. Proposals with multiple
presentations (panel and roundtable) should contain a short overview
statement and then no more than 400 words per speaker. Proposals should
specify the relevant research literatures, research questions, methods,
data, and findings, as well as the scope and duration of the research
projects.

The deadline for proposals is May 3, 2010. Please submit proposals in .doc
or .rtf format by email attachment to <writing@education.ucsb.edu>.  Also,
be sure to include a title for your proposal and each speaker's individual
talk, as well as contact information for each individual presenter.
For more information visit  http://www.writing.ucsb.edu/wrconf11/

Professor Charles Bazerman
Department of Education
Gevirtz Graduate School of Education