[xmca] Paradigms and Syntagms

Thanks, Carol! Ausubel IS my paradigm right at the moment, and that for three reasons.

Firstly of all, I'm reading a shelf of Piaget and I gather that Ausubel is pretty Piagetian at heart. Secondly, I am using some test preparation materials for the Korean Civil Service Exam for teachers to brush up on my Korean before my residency test, and Ausubel figures very large indeed. Thirdly, my colleague across the hall uses a lot of "KWL" (What I know, what I want to know, and what I have learned questionnaires) in her work on reading.

I am always skeptical of this material when I look at it. It seems to me that the third and fourth graders don't really KNOW what they know or what they want to know and can't very well say what they have learned either (particularly not in a foreign language). As for the fifth and sixth graders, they are often TOO conscious, and the first thing that occurs to them is to wonder what this weird teacher is trying to get at.

For example, here is some material from a KWL lesson on planets.

What I want to know:
Why Jupiter is biggest planet?
Why Pluto is smallet planet?
Venus is turn earth is turn how many

We can see that the first two questions are probably built on verbalism; after a "why" question modelled by the teacher, but the last one, about how many earth days there are in a Venusian day, reflects the real thinking (and the real wording) of the child.

So one of my grads took careful track of whether the kids preferred to ask questions or answer them, and what topics the children actually preferred to talk about in a "Look and Listen" game we devised for turning pictures into text and which characters they said were their favorites. We can see pretty clearly in the data that they much prefer to ask, that they ask about emotional processes or verbal ones rather than physical actions, and they like all the characters, but are especially interested in the teacher.

Then we gave them a questionnaire. They said they preferred to answer, they liked talking about action and TV and the boys preferred the boy characters and the girls preferred girls. So it looks to me like there is minimal self-consciousness and self-knowledge that is accessible by questionnaire, KWL or otherwise.

I also tend to agree with what Martin has said on the "larger game" aspect of the science concept; there is no question in my mind but that we can take everyday concepts right into the classroom and usually do, any more than I doubt that we can take academic concepts out into every day life.

We're working with materials on map reading, very similar to what you and Len Lanham developed in South Africa. The children have to navigate a local map around their school. They then are transported to Manhattan, and they learn the Cartesian grid, with "avenues" for Vygotsky's meridians and "streets" for his parallels. But when they write, they tend to make mistakes like these:

- N.Y.Library is to the west of Byrant Park. (correct answer : east of)
- Times Square is to the north east of Rockefeller Center .
(correct answer: to the southwest of Rockefeller center)
- Rockefeller Center is to the north-west of Carnegie Hall.
(correct answer: Carnegie Hall is to the northwest of Rockefeller Center)

Now, what exactly is the problem here? I think the problem is that previously they were doing local, pathfinding exercises, in which the task might have looked like this:

You are at NY Library. Go straight west to Bryant Park.
You are at Times Square. Go northeast to Rockefeller Centre.
etc.

It seems to me that these children are using subjective, relative, personal experience embedded deictics. But the task requires a GPS system, a cell phone, and objective perspective taking, the sort of thing that Lanham's "four friends" did when they climbed the mountain and saw their village as it appears from a helicopter rather than as it appears from the dusty road. They have the WORDS of the academic concepts (west, northeast, etc.) bu they are using the CONCEPTS and even the word order of the nonacademic ones.

Last night while I was cooking dinner there was a concert of Russian music--a quartet by Borodin followed by one by Shostakovich. The Borodin was romantic, and "talky"--you could hear one phrase from the viola "taken up" by the cello and then developed by the violins, as if they were having a conversation, all very much on the same meridian of concrete musical phrasing, the way conversations tend to stick to the same meridian of concrete everyday experience unless there is a pressing reason to do otherwise.

The Shostakovich was, of course, very different. It was much more interested in developing a HIERARCHY of ideas (phrases within phrases, and sequences within sequences). Even the tunes seemed to be largely concerned with "fitting in" rather than "following on", with developing the range of notes rather than developing a single idea. In literary terms, the Borodin was a romance, a single story, while the Shostakovich concatenated many stories into a great novel.

Paintings do this too, of course. We have paintings that are obviously "about" a particular story, and we have other paintings to have many different modes of experience superimposed. For example, Hogarth is basically a cartoonist, and many of his painting sequences can be read as cartoons (and were originally sold by subscription even before he painted them and subsequently etched for mass distribution as tales).

You can't really do that with modern paintings (e.g. Gerhard Richter); they are self consciously and deliberately about the materials AND about the way they are used AND about the subject matter AND about the idea of painting itself. This requires a paradigmatic and not a syntagmatic organization of the painting, and I think that's why so many people prefer the everyday concepts of Hogarth.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education