Re: [xmca] Mary Had a Little Lamb: the concept categories

Great discussion that is delving deep into the curiosities of human
development.

I only would like to add that it is specific to the academic setting and
only the academic setting in being able to decipher the grammatical
structure of the example provided about directions.  If we want people to
learn how to get around town we can try and do all of the systemic
language processing we like but the best and truest way is to take someone
by the hand walk them through the steps, point out the landmarks and buy
them an egg roll at the end.

When Sylvia Scribner did her landmark study of workers in a Dairy Plant
she found that they used everyday concepts and processing to get the job
done.  It is surely more efficient and in the workplace efficiency is
king.  Now that said academic concepts have a place and I would side with
you David that learning academic concepts in the adolescent years greatly
increases a person's ability to be efficient with everyday concepts; and
also more importantly how is an everyday concept differentiated from an
academic concept?  However how is that proven and then once it is proven
what changes can be made to the academic community to provide authentic
testing and assessing of this on said adolescent.

eric

David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
04/05/2010 07:04 PM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"