RE: [xmca] Kharkov school of psychology?

Larry,

First, welcome on board of http://community.livejournal.com/psyhistorik/profile and please feel free to raise your voice even if you have more questions than answers. In fact, this is what the whole thing is for and about.

Then, I guess I am not so much frustrated by the format of an online somewhat chaotic and polyphonic discussion (which is pretty much fine with me), but rather, like I said, uncritical, ungrounded, flawed and immature claims like those on Chukovsky (the link to the paper was posted here at xmca). So, my remark was kinda methodological...

Finally, very much true: we do realize that ideas are not that immaterial, but rather embodied--and influenced by!--in institutes, personal networks, scientific and social practices, etc. The interrelation seems to be bidirectional and dialectical, and I doubt we can easily separate a scientific idea from its socio-cultural roots and, on the other hand, its impact on social environment.

Mike,
I think we need to be very careful about the situation at the beginning of 1930s in the USSR. Indeed, it was getting really hot in Moscow around 1930, and the "struggle on two fronts" against "menshevizing idealism" and, on the other hand, "mechanicism" was not very much conducive to scientific research. For evidence of the kind of frustration all this caused see, e.g., Vygotsky's letters to his collaborators in the Journal of Russian and East European Psychology

On the other hand, the fact is that Yaroshevsky definitely overemphasized the "oppressiveness" of the power back then, and the guys had pretty good reasons to leave Moscow even without being scared to death. "Moscow-centric" Soviet historiography of psychology presents the move of a part of Vygotsky Circle :) to Kharkov as a tragedy--quite understandable attitude for Muscovites :).  But note: Kharkov back then was a capital of Soviet Ukraine, comparable to contemporary Kiev, Warsaw or Budapest. Thus, for instance, future Nobel Prize winner physicist Lev Landau was working there back then, and Nils Bohr among other scientific celebrities would come to Kharkov to scientific congresses. As we know from Luria's letter to Koehler of 1932, the group in Kharkov got really lavish funding and most impressive resources there, with the perspective of founding a Psychological Institute on the basis of their "Sector of Psychology" at the Ukrainian Psychoneurological
Academy (UPNA). So, nothing tragic or surprising that they eagerly rushed there, regardless of political climate in Moscow or decrees in the sphere of education. Especially so since at UPNA in Kharkov they were under the aegis of the Ministry (Narkomat) of Health,--and this was, indeed, the Narkomzdrav of Ukraine, but not of Russian Federation,--and had virtually nothing to do with education or at least until some point could easily drop all their affiliations at educational institutions.

In brief, the history of this science at this locale during the interwar period is somewhat clearer now, yet still remains largely unwritten...