From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:18 pm
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: Diane Ravitch, Chester Finn, & Mark Kleiman
on school	"reform" and charter schools
To: lchcmike@gmail.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

> It *is* gratifying, isn't it, when a right-wing head banger
> discovers the bleeding obvious, even after they have ruined
> thousands of lives. It does help. And I am intrigued by the
> title of her book which is an allusion to Jane Jacobs'
> wonderful book on intelligent design ... of cities.
> Intrigued also by the kinds of experiences that changed her
> mind.
>
> Andy
>
> mike cole wrote:
> > If you have not caught up with this story, its well worth reading.
> > mike

article<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/education/03ravitch.html?scp=1&sq=ravitch&st=cse>about>
this last week opened as follows:

Ravitch<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/diane_ravitch/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,

Behind<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/n/no_child_left_behind_act/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>,
> > which is up for a rewrite in coming weeks in Congress. She once
> supported> it, but now says its requirements for testing in math
> and reading have
> > squeezed vital subjects like history and art out of classrooms.
> *[....]*>
> > The rest of the article does a good job of spelling things out,
> so it's
> > worth reading in

full<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/education/03ravitch.html?scp=1&sq=ravitch&st=cse>.>
Some highlights: