Re: [xmca] Russian-American collaborations, historically speaking

Mike, Unfortunately I can not help with the deeper history, I can only add
that there was a waiting list for students and doctors who wanted to work
with Luria. Alfred Ardila was a doctoral student of Homskaya and close to
ARL; there were medical doctors as stagers- Richard Hurt, Thomas Hutton and
many short term visitors- M. Gazzaniga, Lauren Harris, Jogannath Das
(Canada). It would be possible to ask them how it influenced their work.
May be because of my experience of growing up in Lurian environment  and his
international status I always had a feeling of science as overborders
activity ( our regular seminars with reviews and reports on publications in
international journals etc.), though even then I felt that it is not so for
everybody and every researcher in the USSR. It was an exclusive privilege
thanks to Luria as a scientist and as an extraordinary  personality.
Bella Kotik-Friedgut

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut