RE: [xmca] new national curriculum in Australia

Interesting about the grammar.
I had a father who was fanatical, so I think that lay the foundation for
me... he was always studying his German (later his Russian) and took
language study, and grammar especially, quite seriously. One of my
favorite books of his was (and still is) the Loom of Language... I
became fascinated by the similarities.
At any rate, when we moved to Germany (I was 9) I encountered grammar in
an upfront way and it was really through the study of foreign language
that I began to learn about grammar in a deep way. Now it is forever
visible... :-)
NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) members have some
disagreement as to whether it should be taught explicitly or absorbed in
context. ATEG, the Assembly for Teaching of English Grammar has a brief
monograph on the topic.   http://www.ateg.org/monographs/mulroy.php  If
you go to the home page and play around you will find more links than
you ever imagined on grammar.... :-)

That said... for my money, grammar is best taught in short bursts when
it is needed. Assess the individual's development... look at what they
are closest to and work on that area... don't tackle what is "missing",
but what is developing. A little formal, explicit teaching can really
support what we have already acquired.

~em