Re: [xmca] Culture, Development, Higher Education

Great to know, Helena.
For those interested, the following website has some interesting materials.
Locally, Althea Nixon has suggested reading Christopher Newfield's book
on the unmaking of the public university (HUP) but that is too heavy. The
national website appears to have good materials on it, and i am putting
together a small, one day, reading assignment for my students. The basic
question they need to be able to articulate is whether they can justify
an increase of $32/year in taxes for Californians to re-public-ize UC or
whether its ok to take it private, which is for sure what our regents are
heading to toward.

mike
PS-- Meanwhile, i am worrying about David P and our colleagues in Chile who
got slammed with an earthquake. I hope it the resulting tsunami is tiny by
the time it get to Hawaii and elsewhere. All we get here is a little,
much needed rain.