Re: [xmca] Teach for America

Yes,

Thanks a lot for your reflections and references.
It was/is very helpful. I am now and then helping a municipality here in Sweden - a "low status" district which has had very bad school results. (2004 they were in the very bottom with regard to student´s/ pupil´s grades. They then started a process they called "synvända" (a new perspective) - using the well known picture from Wittgenstien - Is it a rabbit or a duck? They/we said that we could not find the roots of these problems inside the heads of the children but in the school context, the learning environments. the interactions, etcetera. The new head is inspired by Vygotskiij (it takes two to learn). And now five-six years later they have improved a lot... they are no longer in the bottom! but somewhere in the middle of the "National Ranking List". But still, there are children "left behind", so we are looking for inspiration. And we saw TFA... and liked their ambition to work where "teachers are totally needed" (as you write Wayne)... and I absolutely agree with your thoughts (both Tony and Wayne) that children/students need TEACHERS not ex-presidents playing with dolls. Children/students need TEACHERS who enrich their experineces in a ZPD, a joint activity of mutuality, respect and a desire to peform a head taller, becoming smarter.

So once  more

Thanks (XMCA is a great network)

Leif
Sweden