[xmca] Fwd: African priorities for Basic Behavioral and Social Science research

Dear Colleagues,

The following note from Robert Serpell, an outstanding contributor to
research on human development who is a long time citizen of Zambia and
former LCHC visitor may be worth your attention.
mike
Dear colleagues who participated in the Africa-focused
behavioral-since meetings I attended in 2009,
the following website advertises a

Request for Information (RFI) by the US National Science Foundation (NSF):
To Solicit Input on Priorities for the NIH Basic Behavioral and Social
Science Opportunity Network (OppNet)

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-10-055.html

The deadline for contributions is 19 February.

I wonder what we might submit arising from the deliberations in Buea
and Maseno last year, and/or in Victoria earlier in the year,
to try and put in a small, but clear voice from Africa ?

Maybe some pearls (or seeds) of wisdom in response to this opportunity
could germinate
during the lead up to the 2010 congress of the ISSBD ?

I am copying this to some good friends of Africa based in the USA, who
might not know much about the three meetings I have cited,
but could nonetheless contribute to the phrasing of productive,
Africa-focused suggestions for the NSF/NIH.

Robert

Robert Serpell PhD
Professor of Psychology
University of Zambia
and
ISSBD 2010 Congress Convenor

TAKE A LOOK at the congress website:
www.issbd2010.com

UNZA will be hosting the 2010 biennial international meetings of the
ISSBD (International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development)
in Lusaka, Zambia
from 18 to 22 July 2010.

PO Box 32379
Lusaka, Zambia

Phone: (+260) 211 290850 (new direct line to my office - December 2009)
Fax:     (+260) 211 253952

Cell     (+260) 977 758705
e-mail  robertserpell@gmail.com
webpage  http://unza.academia.edu/RobertSerpell