Re: RE: [xmca] Lindqvist on Leontiev on Play - collision between making sense and made sense

eric:

Well, it's really not MY assumption, you know. It's not even an assumption. It's something that Leontiev actually wrote, argued and believed, and something that his followers still believe today (e.g. Karpov's "The Neo-Vygotskyan Approach to Child Development").

This is from my copy of "Problems of Development of the Mind" by Leontiev. It's on p. 399 in my book, but you can find the same passage on p. 362 of the MIA edition of Leontiev's selected works, "The Development of Mind":

“The existence of development of crises has long been known and their ‘classic interpretation is that they are caused by the child’s maturing inner characteristics and the contradictions that arise on that still between it and the environment. From the standpoint of that interpretation the crises are of course inevitable because these contradictions are inevitable in any conditions. There is nothing more false however, in the theory of development of a child’s psyche than this idea. In fact crises are not at all inevitable accompaniments of psychic development it is not the crises that are inevitable but the turning points or breaks the qualitative shifts in development. The crisis on the contrary is evidence that a turning point or shift has not been made in time. There need by no crises at all if the child’s psychic development does not take shape spontaneously but is a rationally controlled process, controlled upbringing.”

And in fact that's what Leontiev's theory of "play" does, and that's why Lindqvist was so mad at him. This is from p. 372 of my book, and it appears on p. 336 of the MIA edition:

“We already know how play arises in the preschool child. It arises from its need to act in relation not only to the object world directly accessible to itself but also to the wider world of adults.”

THAT'S the world of imagination: the world of adults! THAT'S why Leontiev sees all really developmental play as basically either constructive (just like Piaget and Inhelder) or socio-dramatic (like Hall and Robinson, and some passages of Bordrova and Leong). It HAS to be that way, so that the child can be socialized noncritically.

As a result, poor Leontiev ties himself in a terrible knot. It occurs to him that games with rules are actually goal oriented in a sense that role plays are not. So as a result, Leontiev, who as we know defines all activities according to their goals, ends up deciding that although child play and adult work are in not qualitatively different in an ideal sense (at least not under Comrade Stalin's benevolent eyes) there IS a qualitative difference between competitive games with rules and cooperative role plays.

Now Leontiev has to completely deny the link that Vygotsky makes between role play and rule play. Role play, you see, is intrinsically satisfying to the child.

“As we have already said, play is characterized by its motive’s lying in the process itself rather than in the result of the action. For a child plaing with wooden bricks, for example, the motive for the play does not lie in building a structure, but in the doing, ie. In the content of the action. That is true not only of the preschool child’s play but also of any real game in general. ‘Not to win but to play’ is the general formula of the motivation of play. In adult’s games, therefore in which winning rather than playing becomes the inner motive, the game as such ceased to be play.” (PDM p. 370, MIA edition p. 335)

But rule play is different in kind:

“Games ‘with rules’, i.e. like hide and seek, table games, etc. differ sharply from such ‘role’ games as playing doctor, polar explorer, etc. They do not seem to be related to one another by any genetic succession and seem to constitute different lines in the devleopment of children’s play, but in fact the one form develops from other (sic) by virtue of a need inherent in the child’s play activity itself (?), whereby games ‘with rules’ arise at a later stage.” (p. 381 for PDM, and p. 344 MIA)

Now, how does the child get from one the other without a crisis? Go figure!

Unfortunately, I think you will find this non-critical view of development, not in my work, but in the current article for discussion. The authors (it seems to me) try to argue that a playworld allows the development of BOTH the adult and the child TOGETHER, and they produce microgenetic evidence that this is the case. But this argument really depends on collapsing the whole distinction between learning and development that lies at the core of Vygotsky's work and also that of Gunilla Lindqvist.

Even if I accepted that adults and children "develop" in the same sense, I would not accept that they develop together; to do that is really to rob the whole concept of development of any content.

I'm with you, eric. The crisis IS the content. No crisis, no development.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education