[xmca] conference announcement

Hi,
I'm posting this announcement in the hopes of interesting more XMCA-ers to participate in Performing the World 2010: Can Performance Change the World?
This is the 6th Performing the World conference and the CHAT folks who've come and presented in the past have added a lot and gotten a lot. The conference draws around 400 people from dozens of countries who are involved in many different ways in some kind of performance work as community organizers, researchers, educators, and many other kinds of work. This year we're making a special effort to invite people who haven't considered their work to be performatory to consider the question and join us. It's really a unique event - delightfully unconference-like in many ways (anyone who's participated want to comment?).
The details follow — proposals are due March 1. Feel free to contact me with questions, ideas, etc.
Lois

PERFORMING THE WORLD 2010

Can Performance Change the World?

The sixth Performing the World conference will be held in New York City from Thursday, September 30 through Sunday, October 3, 2010. The theme of this year’s conference is: “Can Performance Change the World?”

With this theme, we ask performance activists and scholars to reflect on and address the political aspects of their performance work; at the same time, we invite social change activists to reflect on and address the performance aspects of their political activities. We are looking for proposals —for panels, workshops, performances, demonstrations, installations, etc. — that address this overarching question.

The sponsors of Performing the World — the East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy and the All Stars Project, Inc. — are based in New York City. For decades, both organizations have worked to create a performance-oriented culture and community, in conscious and direct relationship to progressive social change. Our activities involve all neighborhoods and social strata in New York City, and have created an international network of connections.

We envision Performing the World 2010 as a three-day “performance of conversation” with people from all over the world — scholars and researchers; teachers, therapists, social workers and community organizers; doctors and other health workers; theatre and other performance artists; union activists and business leaders; economists and political activists — on the subject of performance and the transformation of the individual, the community, and the world.

The question “Can Performance Change the World?” suggests many themes and topics. Here are a few:

·       Does performance contribute to people seeing the world in new ways?

·       Play, performance and learning in and outside of school

·       Community, therapy and community therapy

·       Playing at work and working at play

·       New health care performances for connecting mind and body

·       Therapy, performance and emotional growth

·       How is the economy performing?

·       What does performing on stage have to do with performing off-stage?

·       Group creativity and social change

·       Performance, activism and revolution

Proposal submission forms are available at www.performingtheworld.org. Proposals are due March 1, 2010.

Conference Fees (fees are for the entire conference; there is no day rate)

Before July 1, 2010: US$215
After July 1, 2010: US$245

A key part of the Performing the World experience is the person-to-person connection — building new relationships with people from around the globe. If you need a place to stay during the conference, our International Host Committee will make every effort to find you one in the home of a New Yorker. Housing request forms are available on the website.

Additional information about the conference, and forms for registration, housing and financial aid can be found at www.performingtheworld.org.

For any questions please contact conference producer Madelyn Chapman at mchapman@eastsideinstitute.org or 212-941-9400, ext 385.

Lois Holzman, Director
East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy
920 Broadway, 14th floor
New York NY 10010
tel. 212.941.8906 ext. 324
fax 718.797.3966