From: "Tony Whitson" <twhitson@udel.edu>
To: "XMCA" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:21 PM
Subject: [!! SPAM] [xmca] FW: Special Price $20 per copy of Culture, Self,
and, Motivation Essays in Honor of Martin L. Maehr

I just ordered the book below for the $20 (telephone-only) promotional
price.

A search for books related to Martin L. Maehr led me to Motivation and
Action edited by Jutta and Heinz Heckhausen.

This work presents itself as a comprehensive work on motivation and action.
But from the table of contents, it looks like "motivation" is being
conceptualized as an entirely psychological matter, albeit influenced by
social, cultural, and situational factors.

I am bothered that in education things like motivation are reduced to the
psychological.

As a semiotician, I see many things being treated as psycho-logical when
they are more fundamentally semio-logical; i.e., they are determined not by
the logos of the human psyche, but by the logos of semiosis. (It surprises
me how a linguist like Jim Gee is so ready to explain things as matters of
cognitive psychology, when they are more fundamentally determined by
principles of linguistic semi-ology).

As for "Motivation and Action," it seems to me that CHAT clearly recognizes
motivation as a matter of the logos of action and activity, or
"praxio-logical," and not reducible to the psycho-logical (unless
"psychology" is stretched so wide as to include, say, Geisteswissenschaften
or les sciences humaines, in which case it seems to me that such
"psychology" would have to abandon the claims that it presumes as a special
discipline).

What do you think?