[xmca] Culture, Self, and Motivation and Maehr

To Mike's point about the semio-logical as co-constitutive of
the praxiological, I would add "and of the psycho-logical".

Tony, Thanks for the tip on the book. Just checked it out from
the library (will decide whether or not to place the phone
call(!?) to order it).

I agree with your concerns of the psychological over the
semiological, but I think Maehr's ideas offer an opening
(albeit a very small one) into a semiological and
praxiological re-thinking of motivation. In particular, he
points the way to "meaning" as essential for understanding
motivation:

"Meaning is the critical determinant of motivation. Whether or
not persons will invest themselves in a particular activity
depends on what the activity means to them. Persons, it may be
assumed, characteristically bring a certain package of
meanings with them into a situation, which determines their
behavior in the particular situation at hand. There are also
features of any given situation that affect the meanings that
may arise there for the person. It is these meanings that
determine personal investment." (Maehr, 1984, p. 123).

Okay, so if we look past the pre-determination of the subject
(who "brings a certain package of meanings with them into a
situation") and the determinative language ("which DETERMINES
their behavior"), then we can get to a point of agreement -
"there are features of any given situation that affect the
meanings that may arise there for the person".

There is, of course, one other minor trouble, namely, that his
meaning of "meaning" is different from our meaning of
"meaning". And I think that this is where psychologists bump
up against a wall precisely because they are so bound by
ontologies and methodologies of individualism in which the
origo of human behavior is always located in the psyche.
Without saying too much, I think we are also back to a trouble
of language ideologies.

Too bad there aren't more psychologists trained as semioticians!

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts about why folks in
education (like Gee) are so quick to adopt a cognitivistic and
psychologistic approach to human behavior.

(and I would add that I was surprised to see the same thing in
Sociology - where I would have thought that people would, by
training, be immune to the psychologistic approach, but where,
as it turns out, many people seem to be buying psychologistic
solutions hook, line, and sinker).

-greg

>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:44:32 -0800
>From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [xmca] FW: Special Price $20 per copy of
Culture, Self,
>	and, 	Motivation Essays in Honor of Martin L. Maehr
>To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>
>I agree re chat and would include the semio-logical as
co-constituitive of

<twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:

>> I just ordered the book below for the $20 (telephone-only)
promotional
>> price.
>>
>> A search for books related to Martin L. Maehr led me to
Motivation and
>> Action edited by Jutta and Heinz Heckhausen.
>>
>> This work presents itself as a comprehensive work on
motivation and action.
>> But from the table of contents, it looks like "motivation"
is being
>> conceptualized as an entirely psychological matter, albeit
influenced by
>> social, cultural, and situational factors.
>>
>> I am bothered that in education things like motivation are
reduced to the
>> psychological.
>>
>> As a semiotician, I see many things being treated as
psycho-logical when
>> they are more fundamentally semio-logical; i.e., they are
determined not by
>> the logos of the human psyche, but by the logos of
semiosis. (It surprises
>> me how a linguist like Jim Gee is so ready to explain
things as matters of
>> cognitive psychology, when they are more fundamentally
determined by
>> principles of linguistic semi-ology).
>>

>> As for "Motivation and Action," it seems to me that CHAT
clearly recognizes
>> motivation as a matter of the logos of action and activity, or
>> "praxio-logical," and not reducible to the psycho-logical
(unless
>> "psychology" is stretched so wide as to include, say,
Geisteswissenschaften
>> or les sciences humaines, in which case it seems to me that
such
>> "psychology" would have to abandon the claims that it
presumes as a special